What We Do
Emerge California is changing the face of California politics by identifying, training and encouraging women to run for office, get elected and to seek higher office. Our intensive, cohort-based five-month training program is unique. As the number of elected Democratic women remains flat or even declines, the need for our work is growing.
California became a state in 1850 but has yet to elect a female Governor. Despite being more than 50% of the population, currently, less than 30% of California state legislators are women.
A pool of highly qualified Democratic candidates is being left untapped. Too often, women do not see themselves running for office—they assume they aren’t experienced enough or they don’t know where to begin. Emerge California is changing that!
- Studies have shown women in elected office overwhelmingly support and push forward democratic principles like equality and fairness.
- When women hold public office they are more actively involved in a variety of gender-salient issue areas, including healthcare, the economy, education and the environment.
- Women legislators are more responsive to constituents, value cooperation over hierarchical power and find ways to engineer solutions in situations where men have trouble finding common ground.
What Makes Emerge Unique?
- We only train Democratic women;
- Our intensive, cohort-based training builds a team within each class who support each other;
- We provide 70 hours of in-depth candidate training and women are ‘ready to run’ for office;
- Participants master: Public Speaking and Communication, Fundraising, Media and Messaging, Networking, Campaign Strategy, Field Operations, Technology and New Media, Diversity and Cultural Competency and Ethical Leadership; and
- Our training includes sessions on the Democratic Party platform and Labor Issues.