Selected applicants must meet the following requirements:
• Commitment to running for identified local political office in the next few years
• Anticipated ability to perform well as a candidate following Emerge’s training
• Commitment to full participation and attendance requirements of the trainings
• Residence in the program region they are applying to.
Scoring criteria for selection to the program are listed below.
Emerge California understands that the strengths and weakness of each program applicant varies.
• Evidence of political experience and leadership potential
• Meaningful involvement in community seeking to represent/with subject matter of office (e.g. education for school board)
• Demonstrated ability to bring together disparate groups to achieve a goal, previous leadership roles, etc.
• Existing networks & ability to build necessary political coalition
• Demonstrated commitment to public service
• Ability to articulate a personal political vision
• Professional written and oral communications/presentation
• Ability to inspire others
• Past experience and anticipated aptitude for fundraising
• Applicants must be women who are registered Democrats and who reside in the state of California
Emerge California anticipates selecting a Northern California cohort of between 20-25 women, a Southern California cohort of between 20-25 women and a Central Valley cohort of between 20-25 women who meet the above criteria and who we believe have the potential to be elected officials.
Emerge embraces diversity and encourages applications from all who identify as women (both cis and transgender women) regardless of age, race, color, national or ethnic origin, marital status, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, disability status, or other such characteristics.